Options after Year 11?
Before choosing you need to think about a few things
How do you learn? What kind of person are you? What are you good at ... interested in? What exam results are you likely to get?
- Use the information below to start you thinking, including:
Quick guide to your options after year 11 - in Calderdale and Kirklees for 2021 entry
School and college open events and application closing dates 2020/21 and other events
Quick guide to your options after year 11 - in Calderdale and Kirklees for 2020 entry - available until the end of September 2020
- Talk to the people that know you, as well as your C&K careers school or college adviser
- See 'More to Explore' on the right and career idea tools websites
Your options are:
- Full-time learning in a school sixth form, sixth form college, FE (further education) college, with a training provider or UTC (university technical college) – also look at information on qualifications and check out our revision tips and study skills under More to Explore on the right.
- Employment such as an apprenticeship, job with training or a traineeship. Ready to apply? Then check out our
- Part-time education or training whilst running your own business, working for at least 20 hours or volunteering.
IMPORTANT: the school leaving date is the last Friday in June of Year 11. You can start an apprenticeship or training or job with training AFTER this date, even if you are 15 – as long as you are 16 by 31 August of this same year. You can't start full-time work with training BEFORE the last Friday in June even if you are 16.
The fact that I'm 15 and am being asked to make huge choices that dictate the rest of my life. I can't drive, drink etc but I'm expected to decide the course of my existence - the decisions I make now will affect what outcomes I will experience in the future. Year 11 student, commenting on the importance of careers guidance.
The Government is encouraging more young people to study STEM (science, technology, engineering and maths) subjects - they offer the skills needed for a range of jobs but remember it's important to make sure you choose a course or subjects that you like and are good at. Also check out STEM Learning and our useful websites page to see the sort of careers open to you when you study science and maths.
Get Organised 2021 - a guide to your post-16 options
Get Ahead 2021 - post 16 options at entry level and level 1
Options after Year 11
Need to contact us?
Your C&K Careers school or college careers adviser can help and advise you – get in touch with the careers team in school/college.
- Ring 01484 242000 and press '0' to speak to someone who can help
Get in touch with your nearest centre:
Page updated August 2020